New posts every week!

Slogan

Nobody does it like Sports According to Neil!



Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Why I'm Cheering for the Kings

     Tonight, the Staples Center plays host to Game Four in the Stanley Cup Final. The Kings have battled past the Devils in the first three games and now possibly have 60 minutes of play between them and the cup. Needless to say, I'm on the band wagon.
   
     I was quickly behind the Kings after their first round demolition of the Canucks, but I never thought that they could be contenders. I knew that they were an under performing 8th seed, but it just wasn't possible. Round by round, they continued to win and my fondness for them continued. Initially, I didn't know how a felt about it. Sure, Quick was likable and the glitz and glamour of LA was appealing, but they were from the south and the south isn't hockey. 
 
     Like many other Northerners, I have always detested "warm weather" hockey teams. "Why do the people in Phoenix need a hockey team? So they can see the Red Wings," I used to say. Southern teams were rarely contenders and they usually won because of northern talent. It was not until this year's playoffs that my eyes were finally opened.
 
     The only way hockey fans can expect the southern teams and ultimately the league to be nationally relevant is if they get money. A great way to get money is to win in the playoffs and that's exactly what the Kings are doing. I'm not questioning the Kings fan's reputation before the run, but I have to imagine that this helps. A great cup run like this converts more locals and fans abroad. It also fills the seats, sells beer, and makes a lasting impact on the surrounding area. I can just imagine the life long Kings fan 20 years from now, "I was at the Staples Center for the Stanley Cup Finals. It was the greatest day of my life! It also made me love this team the way that I do!" 
   
     Ultimately, a run like this helps the NHL so much. It opens up a whole new market of fans. Though the NHL is incredibly popular here in Michigan, it lacks on the national stage. Hockey gets grouped with Football, Baseball, and Basketball as one of the major sports, but it is still light-years behind. By creating a market in on of the biggest cities in America the NHL will continue to climb in the interest of the US's "Four Sports". With the Kings help, the NHL could start to catch up.
   
     So don't be surprised if you were to walk into my basement tonight and hear the yells of "GO KINGS GO", it's my little way of cheering on the league. 

No comments:

Post a Comment