New posts every week!

Slogan

Nobody does it like Sports According to Neil!



Monday, June 25, 2012

Bitter Sweet for the Heat

     The Heat's recent criticized and despised run the the Larry O'Brien Trophy has been nothing like a bed of  roses. There has not been a more hated team over the past two years in all of professional sports. At the center of all the hate and criticism there is Lebron James, whose controversial move to South Beach created the whole fiasco in the first place. As hated as the Heat are, nothing mattered when the clock hit zero.
     I had always been a fan of Lebron. He was going to be a great star in Cleveland and bring a miserable franchise a lot of relief. I never could have imagined what he could do to the state of basketball. I cheered him through his Finals loss against the Spurs and always hoped he would make it back every year afterwords. After the decision though, I was like the rest of the nation.
     The joy that last year's Finals brought me was incredible. My Mavs had finally been able to put the ghost the 2006 was to rest and they had knocked off the hated Heat. I believed at this time the LBJ would be cursed and would never win a ring. 
    But oh what a difference a year makes. I could barely stomach watching the 20 point blow-out that was game five. Honestly, I don't know why I watched it at all. There was just this weird fascination of the possibility of James getting a ring. Soon enough, the celebration started and I found myself happy as I watched LeBron jump for joy. "The man has finally done it", I said to myself, but almost instantly I found myself in a world of rage."I can't believe it happened". 
    So there I sat, torn between myself.  My analytic side side was telling me to be happy. LBJ is the best player in the league and he deserved to win. This whole mess was actually going to be great for the NBA. While my fan side told me to be angry. He had to go to Miami to win it! He didn't deserve it at all. What really pushed me over the edge was the post game interview with the King. When asked about what went through his mind once the game was over, James responded with, "It's about damn time." 

Shunk. 

That was the sound of my TV being turned off. I could not believe this guy. How cocky! How stupid! He expected to win? HA! I was furious with the showboat-iness, but then I remembered the Mavs. Dirk walking off the court before the game was over, Jason Terry's plane moves, his tattoo, and of course the "Hey LeBron! How's my Dirk taste?" shirt. I quickly got over the cockiness one could say. 
     Now that the Finals have been over for a couple days I've cooled down. I can be happy for Lebron, but it is tainted. I will never be truly happy for him in Miami. He could have stuck around Cleveland and tried to grind out success, but he didn't. He took the easy way out. Even if he wins 10 championships I won't consider him the greatest of all time. I may just have to backhand the 16 year old kid 20 years from now who says LBJ is better than MJ. Unless James can beat the 72-10 mark, he won't come close. Don't get me wrong. LeBron James is a great player and will forever be once of the tops on my list, but in Miami? No way. 
     As happy as I am for LeBron, he better not get used to it. I honestly hope he never wins again, but I'm almost sure I'm going to have to face this feeling many more times in my life.

Congratulations to the Miami Heat from Sports According to Neil, but get ready for next year because D-Rose is coming for you.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment