New posts every week!

Slogan

Nobody does it like Sports According to Neil!



Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Rematch For the Ages (Plus Next Year's Top Ten)

     I usually don’t post something right after a championship so I’m not caught up in the mastic of the moment, but now that the National Championship is over a week behind us, I would like to take some time to reflect on the rematch for it all.
     As I tuned in a few minutes before kickoff, I was greeted by walk outs of the two teams. This, unlike any other walk out I had seen before, gave me chills. Just to see Tyrann Mathieu and the rest of the Tigers clawing at Les Miles trying to get the Tide. I could just see the total passion and anger these teams had for the game they were about to play. Soon after the opening kickoff I realized that this was going to be a replay of the first meeting in Tuscaloosa. Both defenses were in beast mode and it looked like a single field goal may win it all.
     I soon learned that this wouldn’t be the case as the Tigers defense seemed to fail. They couldn’t wrap up Richardson as he broke the line for big gains, they couldn’t get the pressure they wanted on A.J. McCarron , even the “Honey Badger” didn’t look the same. It was all set for Alabama to take the Championship. As the night progressed, I was sure this was Alabama’s game to win. It isn’t normal for me to think a championship game is over with at half time, but on this night there was no way in my mind that the Tigers would come back.
     The 2012 National Championship Game was indeed one of the most single sided games I had ever witnessed. The 21-0 pounding Alabama handed to LSU may have been a blow to the whole LSU program. It was a total embarrassment. The Tigers’ inability to cross mid-field until the waning minutes of the final quarter is unheard of and will go down in Alabama football folklore forever.  There was no doubt that the Alabama Crimson Tide were more prepared and motivated that the Tigers.  There is also no doubt that they are the best team in the nation and for that, I congratulate every single one of them for coming out and proving to me that even though they didn’t  win their conference, The Tide deserved to play in that game and be the 2012 National Champions.

Now that the 2011-2012 season is in the books, it’s time to make assumptions that are way too early about the next season. By assumptions, I mean the top 10!
1. USC – Matt Barkly and the rest of the Trojans are ready to win it all now that their post season ban has been lifted. Look for them to waltz through the diminished PAC-12 and play for it all in 2012.
2. Alabama- Though the Tide are losing some key players, the momentum will take them places.
3. LSU- The Tigers will be hurting after their embarrassment in the National Championship, but they will have a nice come back season.
4. Oklahoma- Key injuries cost them this season. They will be near the top for most of the season.
5. Oregon- The Ducks are losing a lot of key players, but Chip Kelly has been stocking up on good players for a few years now.
6. West Virginia- Don’t worry, after their 70 point explosion, they’re ready for the Big 12
7. Florida State- I know I’m drinking the Florida State Kool-aid again, but the Noles have so much potential.
8. Georgia- The Bull Dogs had an impressive outing against Michigan State, but I think that’s only the start for this young team.
9.  South Carolina- Steve Spurrier will have his men ready to follow up on their 11 win season. He might just win the SEC this season.
10. Kansas Sate- The Wildcats were an interesting team this season, but I do expect them to be a force in the Big 12 next year.

Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment