New posts every week!

Slogan

Nobody does it like Sports According to Neil!



Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Unlikely Final Four

If you are an average American, it is inevitable that your bracket is totally busted right now. If it looked like mine, you would be pulling for Louisville to win it all. I cannot say I saw Syracuse, Michigan, or Wichita State making it this far, but I can say I have liked it.
This year's tournament has been outstanding. I haven't seen parody like this in all my years of watching the dance. I have lived in an era were all four 1 seeds made it to the Final Four and where many Cinderellas don't make it past the Sweet 16. There have been a few years of craziness such as the Butler, George Mason and VCU years, but never anything like this. The fact that we have a nine and two four seeds really makes me happy. It shows that college basketball, unlike it's football counterpart, will and is not dominated by one conference or team. It also shows that anything can happen once you make it to the postseason.  i
So what now? We have to the the mystique of this situation fade away and get down to the dirty facts. Honestly, I feel this is Louisville's championship to lose. They are the most complete team and have been the most consistent all year. I find it hard to believe that they will lose tonight. The Wichita State Shockers will come out with a lot of energy and will use there big men like they did against Ohio State. The problem is that Big East teams are built for tournaments. Coaches know they have to make their teams deep and strong if they are going to make it through a rigorous Big East schedule and grueling tourney. That is what will show tonight when Louisville plays Wichita. It will be close in the opening half, but Silva and the rest of the  Louisville team will show their superiority late and win 68-60.
On the other side, I believe the Syracuse zone is playing as great as it ever has. Coach Boeheim has his team ready for any offense that comes the Orange's way. Michigan's Trey Burke will not make it easy though. He has been coming alive as of late and the rest of his team is really helping him out. I'm just not sure if the Wolverines are ready for what is going to happen tonight. It will be close and I see it coming down to a final shot by the Orange that allows them to move on the the Championship 49-48.
So on the year of the Big East's swan song, the conference will go out with two teams playing for it all. How fitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment