New posts every week!

Slogan

Nobody does it like Sports According to Neil!



Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Five Bowls I am Looking Forward to the Most



Bowl season brings out the best of any college football fan. Even though their team may not be competing in the post season spoils, they are treated to hours of college football over the holiday season. For many of us, we look forward to New Year’s not just for the parties, but the game that follow on the next day.
Being a college football fan, I would have to say I feel about 10% better, no matter the circumstances, because it is bowl season.
This year I am particularly excited. Though it isn't the spread of games we gotten in the past few years, I am eagerly awaiting the out of conference clashes that are going to be arriving soon. I have selected 5 that I am the most excited about. Why? Because. Who doesn't like ranking things or making ordered lists?

Honorable Mentions

The National Championship Game (This would be in the top five, I just know what’s going to happen. Plus it seems a little cheap to throw this one in there.)
Little Caesars Bowl (Because I’m going.)
New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Alamo Bowl
Rose Bowl

5. The Discover Orange Bowl – Florida State VS Northern Illinois
I am excited for the MAC possibly doing something incredible more than anything else in this game. I know the notion in the media is that Florida State is going to destroy Northern Illinois. I see their point. With E.J. Manuel, the running game, and of course, the defense, it’s hard to not pick the Noles by double digits. Wouldn’t it be crazy if it was close though? This Huskie team is the MAC team I have the most faith in being able to achieve this feat and represent the conference. Sure, Jordan Lynch has never face a defense like this. He’s a great player though and great players find a way to cause trouble no matter what.
I’m also interested to see if FSU will come out with the same passion as they always do or if it will be a diminished performance. It’s a BCS Bowl, but I know I would be running a lot harder against a team like Oklahoma than NIU.
The last aspect of this game that intrigues me is the size of the crowd NIU is going to bring. They are a MAC school who had the largest home turn out against Kansas which was just over 18,000. Now they have to travel to Florida? It looks like the Noles might have a home game.  

4. Chick-fil-A Bowl – LSU VS Clemson
Why would Neil be interested in this one? The ACC.  I’ve always like the ACC since my introduction to college football through the Miami Hurricanes. The conference hasn’t been relevant in football since that 2001 National Championship, but I still support the conference. They have been proclaimed weak for years, but I believe the conference is on a comeback. That’s why I’m interested. I want to measure the progression based off of this game. LSU may not be Alabama, but they are darn close. I want to see if Tajh Boyd and the rest of the Tigers can top the other Tigers head to head. I expect something far different from Clemson “topping” LSU (I’m guessing more of a blowout), but I can’t help hoping for a different outcome when I tune in. It might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but watching the ACC get stomped in this bowl has turned into a New Year’s tradition unlike any other.
Besides my personal feelings for the game, it will still be a fun one to watch because of the play makers on offense. Of course, you really won’t get to see Clemson’s ability, but that’s for a later day.

3. The Las Vegas Bowl – Boise State vs Washington
I’m interested in the game because it’s one of the few early games that could really be a fun game to watch. Many fans think the games that lead up to New Year’s Day are just trash, but this one has the makings to be an instant classic. The story lines coming in are pretty good. You have Boise State who is coming off of some very high years and looking towards the future. I feel if they can win the big games like this, they will use them as a spring board for the next conference jump. Washington is coming off of a season of highs and lows and wants to establish a different bowl identity than the one the created last year.
I wish I could say that this game is going to be an offensive explosion, but Boise State can’t quiet hold up to that standard. They do have a top ranked defense. I’m very interested in seeing if all the praise for their defense is earned or just coming out of the Mountain West.

2. The Fiesta Bowl – Oregon VS Kansas State
What a match up  Do I really have to say why I’m so pumped up for this? The offensive numbers are going to be staggering for both teams. It isn’t every day that we get blessed with such an offensive pairing. Collin Klein will get the chance to do a lot in this game as will Marcus Mariota, but defense is what makes me the most excited. I want to see if either of these defenses, who have been torched plenty of times this year, can stand up to the pressure. Will there be a few stops by one team or will it be a situation where the team that has the ball last wins? That’s what has me jacked for this game.

1. Cotton Bowl – Texas A&M VS Oklahoma
Remember what I said about great players? That is what makes this my bowl of choice. Both teams have outstanding QB’s. Laundry Jones may not be everyone’s definition of a big time player, but I enjoy watching him play. It’s his last game in college, so I’m interested in seeing what he will bring. I’m more interested in watching Johnny Manziel. From the Scooby Doo costume to winning the Heisman, he has been the best and most sensational player to watch in all of college football. We’ve seen him play in big games and perform so I just want to watch to see what he does next.
I’m also very excited about the conference overtones of this game. The Aggies moved to the SEC and seemed to get better. I know that there were a lot of changes in players, but I want to see how they stack up against a team they could have been playing if they stayed in the same conference. The Big 12 has been getting a lot of flak for being weaker than the SEC and what better way to stick it to them than beating them. 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment