New posts every week!

Slogan

Nobody does it like Sports According to Neil!



Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What I Loved About the Olympics

     The Games of the 30th Olympiad will be one of my favorite Olympics for a long time. They were the first games that I actually watched almost every day and really cared for the whole duration. It was just flat out hard not to watch them. NBC did a great job with their wall-to-wall coverage and there always seemed to be something intriguing on.
     Like every Olympics, I was a sucker for anything USA. All of my favorite teams and people were competing for the red white and blue. Usain Bolt did his hardest to try and wow me and it pains me that he isn't in my top five, but it is possible that what he did still hasn't found it's true meaning inside my head.
     The five United states teams and people that I have picked might be givens. I am an American, so the fact that we won double gold in Basketball once again really excites me. It may have not been the most exciting competition wise or a real "Olympic" event, but it meant something to me. So without any further rigmarole, here are my top 2012 Olympic Teams.

5. Both USA Basketball Teams - This year was another banner year for both teams. Golds for both and neither lost a game; this must be how Brazil feels when they beat us in Soccer. On the Women's side, they had the full force of Uconn. Geno Auriemma and many of the great players he coached took it to the world. Most the time, it didn't even look like they were trying, but they still won. As for the men, they did not have such an easy time. With close games with Lithuania and Spain, it really showed how far the world has come in basketball. At the end of the day though, what made this such a great "moment' for me, was to finally see the maturity of team USA. Ever since the 2004 debacle in Greece, I wasn't sure if the US would be able to maintain a great program. The drive just didn't seem to be there, but all credit to Coach K. His ability to turn this into a program and not an all-star team. Just the emotion of all the players and Coach K jumping for joy in the final minutes really mad it a great time.

4. Women s Gymnastics- I can't say how proud I am of the Gymnastics team. How they were able to beat such gymnastic rich countries like China always astounds me. I know that we have a rich tradition as well, but Gymnastics has always fallen to the wayside in US culture. The best part about this team was all of the characters. There was Jordyn Weiber who was the home town girl. Gabby "The Flying Squirrel" Douglas who was the energy of the team and had such a touching story. We can't forget McKayla Maroney. She, to me, was the star of the 2012 Olympics. First, she made an outstanding vault in the team competition that even had the judges in awe. It was literally the perfect vault, but still the judges marked her down. Then she had her infamous breakdown in the individual vault. She messed up the second vault, eventually got the silver, and is now in internet meme history with he "McKayla is not impressed" meme. All in all, it was a great Olympics for the supposed "Fab 5" they brought a lot of energy to the games and were able to make their country proud, but in my books, they will always be remembered for the characters. 

3. Women's Soccer - US Women's Soccer. Who knew they had this kind of performance in them? I now, they had been to every Olympic Final to date, but after last year's lost in the World Cup Final I though our Women's soccer program was going to take a few steps back. Instead of doing that, they reloaded and brought us a Gold Medal. Though this performance was not as dominating in years past, it may be the most memorable. The group stage was thrilling; every game had something. Against France they went down two goals early just to come back and win by two. In the Colombia match, Abby Wambach showed great composure after she got socked in the eye by a Colombian defender and used her anger in a positive way by scoring a great goal. It was brought to a whole new level in the group stages though. The match against Canada was maybe one of the best United States soccer matches that I had ever seen. The fight that the team had through that game really proved that they were gold medal worthy. They did get a lot of help in that match, but they did come up big when they needed to. The best part of the Olympics for this team however, was the Final. They got the match up they wanted: Japan. The US did not disappoint this time. Carli Loyd scored two amazing goals that will live in my memory forever. She went from siting on the bench for most of the tournament to a heroine in just a few minutes. The other star of the game was Hope Solo. Her blow up in 2007 and her inability to stop the penalties in 2011 kind of had her in the dog house. 2012's Gold medal reverses that and any mistakes in the near future. She made save after save and really came up big and because of her, the US get their redemption.

2. Misty May and Kerri Walsh - These two time gold medalists always impressed me, so I wasn't that shocked when they won their third this summer. What really had me in awe was the fact that they split after 2008 and had just gotten back together in 2011. Though they didn't really play with each other at all during the Olympic cycle, they continued to be just as great as they were before. They only gave up one set in their latest run and have not lost in Olympic competition. For two people to have such a commanding control of a sport for so long is just incredible. Also the fact that they were not picked to win coming into this competition only adds to the glory of this third medal. Their storied run also had a nice ending. They took on the duo of Kessy and Ross for the gold to make it an All American Final. May and Walsh may not be house hold names, but their dominance of this sport should help keep more Americans on the medal stand.

1. USA Swimming - Phelps and Lochte. That was what this Olympiad was supposed to be all about for the Americans, but what we got was way more. The women in the pool actually took center stage. I could have taken the glory road for my top "memory" from this Olympics with the dominance of Michael Phelps. He is the most decorated Olympian of all time and I don't know if that record can ever be beat. He was a freak of nature and we got to see him perform like no one else for over 12 years. I also could have gone with the disappointment of Ryan Lochte. It was supposed to be his year everyone said, but quite frankly, I don't know if it was ever going to be his year. London 2012 will always stick in my mind as the year our women took over the pool and set themselves up for years of goal medals. Missy Franklin is by far the new leader. The 17 year old broke onto the world's stage this summer and won four golds and a bronze. This puts her on an almost Michael Phelps type pace. Her two world records are outstanding as well. The most amazing aspect is that she is only seventeen. That means she could have another three Olympics to compete in. If she continues to get better as she goes, who knows how many medals it will be. Though her achievements in the pool will be the first memories that stick with me, the video of her seeing her parents after winning her first gold will also be there. There was nothing more touching then seeing the joy of a family congratulating their young daughter. The other swimmer that really impressed me was Katie Ledecky who won her first gold medal at the age of 15. The fact that she's four years younger than me really makes me consider if I'll ever be able to do as much with my life as she has. She too will have a great future in American swimming and will forever be one of my favorite athletes in 2012.

Thanks For reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment