New posts every week!

Slogan

Nobody does it like Sports According to Neil!



Sunday, April 15, 2012

The MLS: A Rising League


It isn’t easy liking soccer in the US. My whole life I have been interested in the beautiful game though living in a total dead zone for soccer. I remember my first kicks as a young child and the ecstasy of my first goal; the sport truly had me hooked. Naturally, I stayed interested my entire life and eventually looked for favorite teams to cheer for. I quickly gravitated to the bigger European leagues because that’s where the “elite” players played. Teams like Chelsea, Celtic, and Inter Milan filled my interests as quickly as their chants filled my lungs. Not once did I think of teams like DC United or the LA Galaxy. The MLS just seemed to be cheesy to me. I never saw them as a Professional league, but in the summer of 2009 that all changed.
                In 2009, there was a soccer team that sent shock waves though the MLS. The Seattle Sounders were brought into the league and their raucous fans entered with them. I remember the night when I first saw this new, rave green clad team. I could have sworn that they were playing in some European stadium in some far off country, but no; they were in Seattle. This blew my mind. There was the constant chanting, beating of drums, and raising of scarves. It was everything I wanted in soccer. This quickly ignited one of the most passionate dedications to a team that I had ever felt. Instead of dreaming of visiting Chelsea at Stamford Bridge (I still would mind it!), I had dreams of heading to Century Link Field and cheering on my Sounders. I could feel it; the soccer spring was well on its way.
                It didn’t take long for the MLS to expand to more teams with more passionate fans. Soon the likes of the Rose City Supporters (Portland Timbers) and many other fan bases around the league were starting to sound like the Sounders. Teams now had huge, dedicated fan bases that brought banners and flags to the game. It was truly a thing a beauty.  It wasn’t until last week’s Sporting KC-LA Galaxy game that I truly saw the new horizon of soccer in the US. The game was in Kansas City and I was expecting a small crowd of soccer moms clad in Kansas City Royals gear trying to get their children to pay attention to the game they got to come to for free. What I actually saw was the complete opposite. The scene in Kansas City was Sounders Midwest. The “Blue Hell” brought the thunder and really made the atmosphere a memorable one. I couldn’t believe that the team I had seen playing in a minor league park only a few years ago was now getting cheered on in such numbers.
                The moral of this story is that the MLS is here and it is on its way. Many of you may not be zeroed in on the soccer revolution that has taken the nation by storm, but you better get ready. Every day the soccer community is growing, so I encourage all of you to try to watch a game soon. You might say things like “It’s boring” or “These guys aren’t athletes”, but I assure you if you give it a chance you can get hooked. If you ever get the chance you should definitely go to a game. If you don’t have a good time for the 90 minutes you’re there, there’s something wrong with you.
                Maybe you just think this is just a seasoned soccer fan standing on his soap box or maybe you don’t, but thank you for listening to my rant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment